Taking a portrait is easier than you think. These steps walk you through key aspects of a great portrait. You don't need a fancy camera; an iPhone or any other smartphone will do just fine.
Where and when:
- Daylight is best
- Find an interesting background that has some depth. (A plain wall behind you is usually not ideal.)
- The light source should hit your face, not from behind.
What to wear:
- Keep your face clear — no hats or sunglasses
How to adjust yourself:
- Stand up straight
- Face the camera
- Smile or show some personality
How to adjust your camera:
- Shoot from the chest up, leaving 4-6" above the head
- No flash
- Use "Portrait Mode" if you have it
Example of a good head shot: